Meet Spirit Bruja: Maternal Support Practitioner, Doula, Spiritual Herbalist, Certified Reiki Master & Teacher, Founder and Owner of Small Footprints Doula Services. Spirit provides inclusive fertility, birth and postpartum support and also a Reiki Energy healing service to families from all walks of life, with a strong focus including but not limited to people of color, LGBTQ families, low income and other marginalized communities. She also has a strong passion to help lower the rate of maternal and infant mortality in the USA.
Wondering what having a Doula will be like?
If you’ve made it this far, you’ve already made it to the first step. Doulas continuously support, empower and encourage you through each vulnerable moment through pregnancy, childbirth and the postpartum stage. Having a Doula can be helpful as they remind you that your body is your own and you have the right to govern your own body, also known as autonomy. Doulas will educate you on alternatives you may seek, assistance in birthing positions, comfort measures and holistic non-medicated pain relief whether you choose to birth at home, hospital or birth center. You will learn about resources within the community to fit your specific needs, breast/chestfeeding support, relaxation techniques and much more. Your Doula will also guide you to make your own informed decisions from evidence-based information rather than making decisions from deep rooted fear and uncertainty. A Doula does NOT advocate for you, but rather helps you learn to advocate for yourself, instilling a sense of confidence within yourself, reclaiming and restoring power that is rightfully yours. How empowering is that?!
Partners and Other Supporters
Having a Doula is very beneficial for partners and other support persons that are present. Doulas NEVER take the place of a partner. They assist in keeping them calm, informed and encourage them to be active in supporting the birthing person as much as they can.
Here’s a helpful list about what Small Footprints Doula Services can do to help you have the most optimal, positive and powerful experience.
- Non-judgmental physical, emotional and informational support
- Ensure that you make informed decisions about your pregnancy, birth and postpartum while respecting every choice you make
- On call 24 hours from 37 weeks to time of birth
- Prenatal visits (2 required, additional visits are available $40/hour)
- Hydrotherapy (placing you in water; shower, bath, birthing tub) for relaxation and pain relief.
- Relaxation and Meditation
- Non-Medicated pain management (Studies show that having a Doula increases your chances of having a non-medicated birth, if you wish, and can help lessen pain that may be experienced during labor and birth.)
- Birthing positions and alternative comfort measures for a more comfortable, less painful birth
- Skills to encourage the rotation of breech babies
- Support for a partner (*Doulas never take the place of partner. In fact, we encourage partners to be very much involved).
- Postpartum home visits
- Special help and support for care of premature babies, multiples or c-section birthers
- Recognizing and discussing any concerns about postpartum mood disorders
- Breast/chestfeeding support, bottle feeding support
- Holding, changing baby while you (or partner if applicable) get some much-needed rest
- Bathing baby with the new parent(s)
- Referrals to resources in the community